M Restaurant | Bank Restaurant
James Bond’s boss.
The Roman numeral for 1,000.
Chocolate that melts in your mouth, and not in your hand.
The letter M has enjoyed a rich and varied history which, from this point onwards, now also includes being the name of a large new bar and restaurant in the City called, well, “M”… where all of the following is true:
1) It has Japanese heated-toilets.
2) It’s perched upon 15,000 square feet of prime City real estate, comprising of a cocktail bar; a wine tasting bar; a secret den; four private dining / event spaces; and an open-plan ground floor with two partitioned restaurants: M-Grill and M-Raw.
3) Being in the City, it’s for City types. Just FYI.
4) It was designed by award-winning interiors expert René Dekker, and features faux eel skin walls, original contemporary artwork and a walk-in, glass-walled butchery and meat ageing room.
5) That butchery’s helmed by an actual butcher, from whom you’re cordially invited to order your preferred cut of steak directly, or with whom you’re invited to take butchery masterclasses. If you’d like to.
6) Seeing as we’re talking chop, allow us to point out that the Grill restaurants’ in-house chops are imported from the six best beef producing nations in the world (Argentina, Japan, France, South Africa, Australia and the USA). And allow us to also point out that the menu includes a £150 black breed, wet-aged and wood-cooked prized Japanese Kobe fillet… which you should save only for rare occasions.
7) The Raw restaurant at M’s a sort of casual, “small plate” dining affair offering tartares, sashimi, yakitori and salads. Plus cured meats, smoked meats and seafood.
8) There’s wine here. Specifically, there’s over 150 varieties of the stuff, 24 of which reside in enomatic preservation dispensers. Which means that you can try internationally acclaimed ‘icon’ wines – usually available only by the bottle – by the glass.
9) It opens at 7am with the sole aim of satisying all of your dealmaking, power-breakfasting needs. And it serves over twenty different cocktails – including items like almond, watermelon and amaretto-infused Que Che, white cacao and raspberry liquor – with the sole aim of satisfying all of your…um… post-dealmaking, power-drinking needs.
10) You can drink these cocktails wherever you like, but it would be wise to do so upstairs at the M-Bar (where you can cozy up next to the fireplace with your filofax) OR at one of the two second floor open balcony lofts overlooking the downstairs restaurants…
11) … OR in the secret whisky-den, which also has a foosball table, private bottle lockers for regulars and a cigar humidor.
12) And finally, yes, of course they do brunch where you can sit at a table and enjoy two courses…with your dog.
But we had you at Japanese heated toilets, right?
NOTE: M Threadneedle Street is open from 7am-midnight weekdays, and 5pm-midnight on Saturday (it’s closed on Sunday). Reservations can be made on their website HERE.
M Restaurant | 2 & 3 Threadneedle Walk, 60 Threadneedle Street, EC2R 8HP
Like great restaurants? Check out our excellent guide to the top restaurants in London.