Before Battersea park was created in 1858 the fields skimming the riverside there were a popular spot for duelling.
That’s right. There was so little going on there, people used to shoot each other for fun.
Now, it’s a slightly different story. Because now, there’s actually so much going on, it’s almost a shoo-in for the title of ‘most interesting park’. All told there are 200 acres of green space stuffed with literally dozens of cool things, for virtually anyone who cares to venture down there. You can find:
- Putt in the Park Mini-Golf – with a full course of obstacle-rich holes (and a restaurant serving wood-fired pizza).
- A boating lake – with a mini fleet of boats and pedalos, all rentable, for up to 5 people.
- Go-Ape – with a treetop trail stretching 13.6 meters above the ground and a 50m-long zip line.
- The Pump House Gallery – not only is this lakeside building (dating back to 1861) beautiful on the outside, but thanks to the exhibitions they hold there it’s beautiful on the inside too.
- A bunch of tennis courts – as in, 19. Plus a running track. And a couple of artificial pitches. AND a gym. And anyone who wants to can book a court, not just members.
- A children’s zoo – and no, despite the name, it doesn’t contain children. It actually has otters, monkeys, tamarins, wallabies, lemurs, wildcats, armadillos, flying tree frogs, giant snails, bird-eating tarantulas, and something called a ‘fancy rat’.
- The Peace Pagoda – this place was built in 1985, and it’s looked after each day by a Buddhist monk (Reverend Gyoro Nagase) who lives in a converted temple within the park’s English Garden.
Oh yeah, there’s an English Garden too. But honestly, at this point, there’s just too much stuff to stuff in here. It’s far better if you simply go down and explore it all for yourself, or takes someone with you and, you know…
…shoot the breeze.
NOTE: Battersea Park is open now. You can see a map and a list of facilities at the website right HERE.
Battersea Park | Battersea, SW11 4NJ
Love the great outdoors? Check out the best places for walks in London.
The Nudge is an independent, searchable and highly-curated guide to the most interesting places to go and things to do in London, giving members unrestricted access to our full compendium of continually-updated restaurants, bars, events, exhibitions, date ideas, itineraries, member perks, weekend guides, monthly agendas and more – all delivered via our website, email newsletters & members’ app.
Join us to see what’s hot in London this week; to explore all of the recommendations & ideas stored within The Nudge’s website and members’ app; and to start making the most of life in London today. Start Free One Week Trial