Brockwell Park’s always been a good spot for some live music.
Back in 1913, it was said that crowds “would refuse the weaker Italian stuff and demand the Wagner over and over again”. And over a century later in 2021 they’re hosting The Mighty Hoopla, an LGBTQ+ festival. Although they probably won’t be playing an Wagner. But the idea remains the same; the place is a huge, historic, park that remains a great place for literally thousands of people to have fun.
You’ll find it nestled between Brixton & Dulwich, and amongst its 125 acres of green space you’ll find a whole lot of stuff to do without live music, too. Head down there on any given day, and you can indulge in…
- A cafe inside the historic Brockwell Hall at the top of the hill – it comes with a great view, too.
- Three ponds – ducks included
- A walled garden – it’s stuffed full of flowers and herbs
- A basketball court – completely free, no booking required
- A BMX track – also free
- A bowling green – not free, but also not expensive
- Some cricket nets – yours to use as you please
- A cricket wicket pitch – again, free
- An athletics sprint track – it’s got a grass surface, and you’ll need to book
- A Football pitch – also grass, thankfully
- Some tennis courts – no membership required, but you do need to book
- A miniature railway – if you’re into that
But the real peach? It’s got to be Brockwell Lido, a Grade II listed art deco building near the top of the park. It’s an Olympic-sized unheated swimming pool, that after 80 years of business (it opened back in 1937) has become something of a South London institution. It costs £6 to get in, and it comes with a Grade II listed Art Deco building in which you’ll find a fully-equipped gym; fitness studios for spin classes, body pump, pilates, etc; a spa area with a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi; and The Lido Cafe.
And getting there is a walk in the park.
NOTE: Brockwell Park is open now. You can find out more at the site right HERE, and make bookings for the various facilities right HERE.
Brockwell Park | SE24 9BJ