Flat Iron Square | London Bridge Hangout
Railways are generally good for three things:
1) Giving toddler train junkies their high.
2) Getting you from A to B.
3) Providing cool, atmospheric archways for all-new food, drink, and entertainment hubs.
Which is why – back in 2016 – property developer Benjamin Scrimgeour joined forces with Ben Lovett (of Mumford & Sons fame) to create Flat Iron Square – a 40,000 sq ft cultural hub, full of restaurants, bars, and one hell of a good-looking entertainment venue.
These days, due to the actually quite cool-looking new ‘Low Line’ development (think Manhattan’s High Line, only… lower), the project has split into two, leaving music venue Omeara where it was, whilst the food and drink part has shimmied along just 200ft away…
Wander in from one of London Bridge’s backstreets and you’ll be met with festoon lighting strung across a big al fresco yard full of tables. The atmosphere’s strong – music emanates from every corner, plus the general hubbub of happy people.
Here’s why you’ll be joining them:
FOOD AT FLAT IRON SQUARE
Across the fairy-lit yard you’ll find four street food traders in residence, namely:
- Gamekeeper, whose innovative BBQ flavours are lavished on sustainably sourced ingredients and wild game from across Britain;
- The Good Slice, who not only make delicious, focaccia-base pizzas for you, but also provide them to homeless Londoners and school kids in Malawi;
- Lil’Watan, serving up boxes of fragrant Lebanese goodness, from fattoush salad to halal chicken shish; and
- STR Eat, bringing South American street eats. Everything from cheesy tequeños to churros.
DRINKS AT FLAT IRON SQUARE
You can top up your merriment with guest beers and cocktails from not one but two walk-up bars, or stroll into their new on-site brewery & taproom, where you can try keg-fresh IPA brewed in collaboration with Lagunitas.
THINGS TO DO AT FLAT IRON SQUARE
Flat Iron Square hosts a line-up of regular weekly events, from Tuesday taproom quizzes to DJ nights on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. They also do occasional one offs like silent discos and are going to be hosting the World Cup when it kicks off in November. (Book in early here).
So if extreme fun is what you’re after… you’re under the right track.
NOTE: Flat Iron Square is open Tues-Sat (12-11pm) and Sun (12-8pm). You can find out more, and book tables here.
Flat Iron Square | 45 Southwark Street, London, SE1 9HP
Like street food? Check out the Best Food Markets in London