Railways are generally good for three things:
1) Giving toddler train junkies their high.
2) Getting you from A to B.
3) Providing cool, atmospheric archways for all-new food, drink, and entertainment hubs.
In 2016, Benjamin Scrimgeour’s Flat Iron Square project saw six mighty railway arches, a courtyard of disused land and a listed Georgian townhouse transform into a 40,000 sq ft hub of restaurants, bars and arts venues, forming the first, temporary part of South London’s new ‘Low Line’ development (think Manhattan’s High Line, only… lower).
Now, they’re ready to actually develop that part, so Flat Iron Square has now shimmied along to a similar site 200ft away. Wander in from one of London Bridge’s backstreets and you’ll be met with festoon lighting strung across the yard, music emanating from every corner, a convivial hubbub from the al fresco tables and wafts of mouthwatering street food.
Here’s what you’ll find there…
Across the yard you’ll find five street food traders in residence, namely:
- Gamekeeper, whose innovative BBQ flavours are lavished on sustainably sourced ingredients and wild game from across Britain;
- The Good Slice, who not only make delicious, focaccia-base pizzas for you, but also provide them to homeless Londoners and school kids in Malawi;
- Lil’Watan, serving up boxes of fragrant Lebanese goodness, from fattoush salad to halal chicken shish;
- Po’Bros, where you can score chunky Southern Po’boy sandwiches & fries dusted with Cajun salt; and
- A Mystery Fifth Vendor, yet to be revealed. Ooooh.
You can top up your merriment at Flat Iron Square with guest beers and cocktails from not one but two walk-up bars, or stroll into their new on-site brewery & taproom, where you can try keg-fresh Hop Exchange suds.
THINGS TO DO
Flat Iron Square hosts a line-up of regular weekly events, from Tuesday taproom quizzes to DJ nights on Thursdays and Fridays. They’re also going to be hosting Six Nations screenings when they kick off on 5th February. You can find out what else is on this month HERE.
So if extreme fun is what you’re after … you’re under the right track.
NOTE: Flat Iron Square is open Tues-Sat (12-11pm) and Sun (12-8pm). You can find out more, and book tables, HERE.
Flat Iron Square | 45 Southwark Street, London, SE1 9HP
Like street food? Check out the Best Food Markets in London