The circus has grown up.
La Clique has fired the human cannonball. They’ve let the trapeze artist go. They’ve gone for the juggler.
Because their version of a circus is an Olivier award-winning, all-adult, all-risque, burlesque, cabaret, and sideshow cocktail. And it’s back in London for the winter. Head to the vintage Spiegeltent sitting in the middle of Leicester Square on any given evening this festive season, and you’ll find a breathtaking lineup of acts, which includes…
- The multiple Guinness World Record-holding Craig Reid, aka The Incredible Hula Boy;
- Heather Holliday, once the world’s Youngest Female Sword Swallower, who’s also branched out into fire-breathing and has appeared in music videos for 50 Cent;
- “Farcical showgirl” JaiMime, who ran away to the circus 15 years ago and has never looked back;
- Aerial artist Hugo Desmaris, who’s been appearing in cabaret shows around the world since 1998 and can still get his legs over his head, and his partner in crime Katharine Arnold, who performed in the Olympics Opening Ceremony;
- The great Mirko Kockenberger, who combines suitcases, hand-balancing and strip-tease;
- Hackney’s own LJ Marles, who began learning circus skills at 17 and has since invented his own equipment, the ‘tension straps’; and
- The third generation of Skating Willers, recreating some of the world-famous performances of their parents and grandparents, while putting their own stamp on things.
This rag-tag bunch of talented artists is corralled together by the infamous Bernie Dieter, the self-proclaimed “Queen of Weimar punk kabarett” who’s compèred dozens of critically acclaimed cabaret shows in the past few years.
In short – this is a Clique you’re going to want to join.
NOTE: La Clique runs from 13th November – 8th January 2022 at the Spiegeltent in Leicester Square. Tickets start at £21, and you can book right HERE.
La Clique | Leicester Square, London, WC2H 7NA
Looking for something a little more traditional? Circus 1903 takes things back to the turn of the century…