If you’re after a little light entertainment, you’ve come to the wrong place.
Because Lightopia has a lot.
Like, enough to fill Crystal Palace Park with hundreds of magical lanterns, gigantic installations, and interactive light shows. It’ll hit town for 6 weeks in November, running through Christmas, and into the new year. All in all, for the light show part you can expect a two kilometer path, along which you’ll find:
- A 10-meter-long phoenix set on 50,000 square feet of lights
- A huge rainbow tunnel.
- Animatronic & digitally projected dinosaurs, designed as companions to the famous Crystal Palace Dinosaurs
- A 40 metre long, 12 metre tall ‘Palace of Lanterns’, which is created using 3D mapping projection
- An interactive, musical floor that will play notes as you step on them a la Big
- Dozens of magical, illuminated animals, all hand-painted using traditional Chinese techniques
Then there’s the Crystal Palace itself, which will be flooded with enough light to furnish a medium-sized solar system thanks to the festival’s fancy projection mapping technology – the facade of the building will appear to come alive as the projection plays out in a glorious real-life VR-style experience.
Like we said – a lot.
NOTE: Lightopia takes place from 19th November – 2nd January 2022. Adult tickets cost £20-£24 advance and are available right HERE.
Magical Lantern Festival | Crystal Palace Park, SE19 2GA
Like having fun? What a coincidence! So do we. And we made a list of ways to do it right HERE.