Public | Street Food Stadium
First came the street food stalls.
Then the street food markets.
And now, we see the dawn of the street food stadium.
It’s called Public, and it comes to us from the people at Street Feast (of Hawker House & Giant Robot fame). You’ll find it in a vast, light-flooded Woolwich market space – built back in 1936 – that now sits under a vibrant rainbow roof. Under that roof they’ll have five bars, a trampoline cage (coming soon), a pool area, and eight street food restos at any one time, with plans to rotate them regularly. For the launch, they’ve bussed in;
- Henhaus roasting rotisserie chickens with homemade gravy
- Yumplings serving yummy dumplings (hence the name) from the team behind Yum Bun… who also have a stall next door
- Salt Shed with their butterflied lamb steaks and salt beef short rib
- Rust Bucket, for wood-fired pizza (the Neapolitan pork sausage & broccoli number is particularly good)
- Lava Bar, with molten cookie dough doughnuts.
Those five bars include The Market Bar for cocktails & craft beers; Street Vin for wine; the Gin Kitchen for, er, gin; Rumhole for frozen cocktails (and rum); and Union Bar Pool Deck, wherein you’ll find those pool tables.
And we’re sure you didn’t miss that little mention of ‘trampoline cages’. Well, they’re planning to roll them out as soon as possible in order to create a more family friendly vibe. And speaking of imminent plans, they’ve also found some secret tunnels leading below the market for which they have “something so good” in the works, they can’t even talk about it yet.
Meaning that, ironically, the plans aren’t public.
NOTE: Public is open every Friday (from 5pm to late) and Saturday (from 12pm to late). You can see the current lineup of traders and more at their website right HERE.
Public | Plumstead Road, SE18 7BZ
Main image: Johnny Stephens Photography
Want to go somewhere a little closer to the centre of town? Might we suggest KERB Camden…