Public | Street Food Stadium
NOTE: Public is currently closed and will reopen in 2020.
First came the street food stalls.
Then the street food markets.
And now, we see the dawn of the street food stadium.
It’s called Public, and it comes to us from the people at Street Feast (of Hawker House & Giant Robot fame). You’ll find it in a vast, light-flooded, listed Woolwich market space – built back in 1936 – that now sits under a vibrant rainbow roof. And under that roof they can boast five bars, a trampoline cage, a pool area, and eight street food restos at any one time, which naturally rotate regularly. Currently, they include:
- Henhaus roasting rotisserie chickens with homemade gravy
- Yumplings serving yummy dumplings (hence the name) from the team behind Yum Bun… who also have a stall next door
- Salt Shed with their butterflied lamb steaks and salt beef short rib
- Rust Bucket, for wood-fired pizza (the Neapolitan pork sausage & broccoli number is particularly good)
- Lava Bar, with molten cookie dough doughnuts.
Those five bars include The Market Bar for cocktails & craft beers; Street Vin for wine; the Gin Kitchen for, er, gin; Rumhole for frozen cocktails (and rum); and Union Bar Pool Deck, wherein you’ll find those pool tables.
They’ve also found some secret tunnels leading below the market for which they have “something so good” in the works, they can’t even talk about it yet.
Meaning that, ironically, the plans aren’t public.
NOTE: Public is closed until 2020 (until Crossrail is finally completed) – you can find out more on their website right HERE.
Public | Plumstead Road, SE18 7BZ
Main image: Johnny Stephens Photography
Want to go somewhere a little closer to the centre of town? Might we suggest one of London’s best street food markets…