Soho Jazz Week.
Rather ironically, it won’t give you the blues.
And sure, this particular event only takes place over the course of three days. But the ‘Soho’ and ‘jazz’ parts of the title are completely accurate: a collection of 10 of the neighbourhood’s legendary music venues will play host to more than 100 jazz artists across 17 shows. It’s not too shabby. Some of the highlights?
- Pure Imagination with Kitty LaRoar – Playing at the Century Club , Kitty LaRoar is famed for her silky vocals but as you’ll discover, she’s also a remarkably good drummer.
- Aydenne Simone and the Big Mama Trio – You’ll find Aydenne “The Queen of Swing” Simone at The Piano Bar, jiving with her excellent band.
- The Art of the Trio – Also playing at the Piano Bar, Olly Chalk will show off his extraordinary improvisation skills on the ivories.
- Ain’t Misbehavin with Liam Stevens – The swish Green Bar at Cafe Royal is where Liam Stevens will be reinterpreting and utterly transforming classics from Oscar Peterson & Art Tatum, among others.
- Cocktail Swing with Riketté Genesis – Head to The Martinez in Greek Street to catch Riketté Genesis throw down some old school gypsy jazz.
And last but not least, to close it all out, there’ll be a special screening of the hit documentary “Ronnie Scott and his World Famous Jazz Club” playing at the Soho Hotel. It’s the first time it’ll have been shown on the big screen, and not only will the director be there, but there’s also going to be a live performance from jazz trio The Soho Live All-Stars, who’ll be playing music inspired by the soundtrack.
Which is tough to improv upon.
NOTE: Soho Jazz Week takes place from 15th-17th September at venues across Soho. You can find out more, and get tickets (£6-£20) at their website right HERE.
Like jazz? Here are the best places to hear it in London.
The Nudge is an independent, searchable and highly-curated guide to the most interesting places to go and things to do in London, giving members unrestricted access to our full compendium of continually-updated restaurants, bars, events, exhibitions, date ideas, itineraries, member perks, weekend guides, monthly agendas and more – all delivered via our website, email newsletters & members’ app.
Join us to see what’s hot in London this week; to explore all of the recommendations & ideas stored within The Nudge’s website and members’ app; and to start making the most of life in London today. Start Free One Week Trial