The performers taking to the stage at Camden’s Roundhouse this June are all as good as their word.
Which is unsurprising seeing as they’re all talented poets, writers and spoken word artists – and they’re getting together for a fortnight-long festival celebrating the art of the word. It’s been an annual tradition for over a decade now, and the line-up for 2022 is looking extremely decent.
It kicks off in June with the Poetry Slam Final – a fixture of the festival since 2013, in which six young finalists who’ve battled through national heats (you can catch the London heats in early May) duke it out in one final night of quick-fire spoken word, each performing their own original compositions. It’s one of the fastest-paced, most exciting nights of the programme, and gives you a chance to discover the next generation of writing talent.
Then, there’s all the special one-off events for this year, including:
- A poetry salon with Bloomsbury poetry editor Kayo Chingonyi and the four inaugural poets of the publisher’s Poetry List;
- A live podcast recording with the legendary ladies of The Receipts;
- A free evening of spoken word performance curated by East London organisers VERSES;
- 1Xtra Talks host Richie Brave reflecting on the topic of ‘Freedom of Speech’;
- Conversations with some of the authors behind the A Quick Ting On book series;
- Live performances from Roundhouse Resident Artists variously exploring female representation, grief, motherhood, and queer African ancestry;
- An interactive workshop with Jack Rooke on adapting your own writing for scripts; and
- A closing night of short film screenings, held in partnership with the London Short Film Festival.
Only a couple of the events will set you back any more than a tenner, and while you’re there you’ll also be able to check out Chuss Me!, Kareem Parkins-Brown’s exhibition exploring surrealism through the eyes of Hood people.
NOTE: The Last Word runs from 9th – 23rd June, but you can catch the London poetry slam heats from 3rd – 6th May. You can read more about all the different events taking place, and book your tickets, HERE.
Roundhouse | Chalk Farm Road, NW1 8EH
Like theatre? Well, here are the best shows in London right now…