There’s no easy way to say this…
It’s one of the many volcanoes in Iceland – volcanoes both above and below ground that power 85% of the island, including the Reyka distillery, where they make small-batch craft vodka with water from an arctic spring that runs through a 4,000 year old lava field. Yah. Its so absurdly pure, the vodka only needs a single distillation.
And now, it’s coming to the UK.
To mark the occasion, this month Hackney will become home to the grand, quirkily Icelandic Reyka Expedition; a series of events across the neighbourhood that will show off the cooler bits of a very cool country. So what exactly will that entail? Well, here are a few highlights:
- There’ll be a mixology masterclass with key tips on flavour pairing, and an Icelandic tongue twister challenge at FARM: (Nov 14th)
- An intimate gig with crazy-cool Icelandic band Vio at the bohemian-chic Honeymoon (Nov 14th & 15th)
- An Icelandic feast (with paired Reyka vodka cocktails, of course) at Honeymoon (Nov 17th &18th)
- Live painting by Icelandic street artist SELUR at video game bar The Four Quarters (Nov 18th & 19th)
And this weekend…..
- An intimate Icelandic gig with a Northern Lights visual display at hidden basement bar Kansas Smitty‘s (Nov 24th)
- A weekend of free Icelandic-style hotdogs (that is, boiled in beer) from Number 90 (Nov 25th & 26th)
- A water installation beautifully re-creating The Northern Lights down at The Barge House (Nov 25th & 26th)
…And that’s not even everything they have on the calendar. The events will all take place between the 14th and 26th of November, during which time you’ll also be able to get bespoke Reyka cocktails from 12 top-shelf bars including The Mint Gun Club, Original Sin, The Natural Philosopher, The Gibson, and more.
You should go.
There is an easy way to say that.
NOTE: The Reyka Expedition will take place from the 14th to the 26th of November. You can find out more, and book tickets to the various events right HERE.
Into vodka? Then check out our guide to the London’s best vodka bars.