It’s a good thing nobody has a monopoly on games set across London.
Because it means that we can look forward to events like April’s London Games Festival – and specifically, the events going on at Somerset House for their own micro-festival, Now Play This.
Now an annual occurrence, it’ll see the latest releases from independent games makers come together across the former mansion’s palatial New Wing. The creatives behind it aren’t just game designers, though – you can expect thought-provoking installations from poets, writers and contemporary artists, too, many of whom will be running exclusive workshops over the opening weekend. For its eighth year, the theme is ‘games and democracy’, so you can expect some experimental new creations exploring power, representation and decision-making, including…
- Chorus Effect, in which you’ll simultaneously act as a ventriloquist’s dummy, reading a text aloud to the sound of someone else’s voice while recording your own for a future player;
- Hwa Young Jung‘s card game exploring the history of the Civil Rights movement;
- Flag For Removal, a fast-paced insight into the world of social media moderators in which you’ll race against AI;
- Rules & Roberts, a live, democracy-focussed take on Dungeons & Dragons; and
- We Should Totally Stab Caesar!, a historical-ahistorical comedy game in which you play a terrible senator.
Any gaming fans who miss it will be inconsolable.
NOTE: Now Play This runs at Somerset House from 8th – 10th April. Tickets cost £9 – you can book, and find out more, HERE.
Main image credit: Robert Bye/Unsplash
Now Play This | Somerset House, Strand, WC2R 1LA
Looking for more inspiration? Check out the Best Things To Do In London
The Nudge is an independent, searchable and highly-curated guide to the most interesting places to go and things to do in London, giving members unrestricted access to our full compendium of continually-updated restaurants, bars, events, exhibitions, date ideas, itineraries, member perks, weekend guides, monthly agendas and more – all delivered via our website, email newsletters & members’ app.
Join us to see what’s hot in London this week; to explore all of the recommendations & ideas stored within The Nudge’s website and members’ app; and to start making the most of life in London today. Start Free One Week Trial