The Best London Summer Date Ideas
If the pressure of planning a perfect date brings you out in a sweat…
…well you’re going to be having a particularly hard time right now.
Fortunately, however, we’ve just updated our wonderful little collection of summer date ideas, from ice cream crawls to floating hot tubs, films on the canal, al fresco jazz, open air theatre, wild swimming, twilight zoo trips and rooftop croquet…
1. Watch A Film Alfresco At One Of These Summer Pop-Up Cinemas
Take your pick from bottomless popcorn, BYO picnics, rooftop cinemas and more… or check out our run-down of every single outdoor film screening this summer.
2. Enjoy Some Canal-Side Jazz At Grow Hackney
It’s nearly as smooth as the bar’s homemade Hackney Spiced Rum.
Details: Various dates throughout summer | Grow, Main Yard, Hackney Wick, E9 5LN | £6 | Book here
3. Build Each Other Bouquets at Chiswick Flower Market
Revel in your blossoming romance… then get gelato at Foubert’s.
Details: First Sunday of every month | Old Market Place, Chiswick High Road, W4 2DR | Free entry
Take your relationship to dizzying new heights.
5. Rent a Hot Tub Boat
It’s a boat, that’s also a hot tub, guaranteeing a pretttty steamy time.
Details: Available daily | Off Hertsmere Road, West India Quay, E14 4AL | £225-250 per trip | Book here
6. Spend All Day at Summer By The River…
Flit from acoustic gigs to film screenings to al fresco discos without breaking a sweat…
Details: See what’s on here | The Scoop at More, London SE1 2AA | Free Entry
7. Brush Up On Your Shakespeare At The Globe
Bring a blanket and get £5 yard tickets to cuddle up under the stars.
Details: Throughout Summer | Shakespeare’s Globe, 21 New Globe Walk, SE1 9DT | From £5 | Book here
8. Go On A Pub Crawl Around Richmond
Or follow our Richmond itinerary to explore the riverside.
9. Toast Marshmallows at the Campfire Club
Enjoy some live music around a campfire…
Details: Various dates | Secret London Locations | £16 | Book here
10. See Big Name Acts at One of These London Festivals
Because it’s too soon to inflict your four-day wet-wipe-bath musk on each other.
Before listening to some live jazz at the park bandstand.
Details: Jazz on various dates | Greenwich Park, SE10 8XJ | Free
12. Get Lost In Walthamstow Wetlands
Then (re)discover each other over a cold pint along the Blackhorse Beer Mile.
Details: 2 Forest Road, Walthamstow, N17 9NH | Open daily, 9.30am to 5pm | Free entry
13. Complete the City’s Tiniest Bar Crawl
Details: July, August & Sept | Bedford Square, WC1B 3HH | £24/Free for Nudge Members
Bring a picnic… and your pooch.
Details: Available daily | Paddington, Kingston & Canary Wharf | £85+ | Book here
15. Grab A Coffee And Take A Stroll Around Stokey’s Clissold Park
Feeling peckish? The Good Egg‘s got brunch (inc. babka) just down the road.
Details: Green Lanes, Stoke Newington, N16 9HJ
16. Test the Oysters-As-Aphrodisiacs Theory with London Shell Co.
Thought the whole candlelight, sparkling wine, and London sailing past your window thing may disrupt the experiment…
Details: Cruises Wed-Sat | The Prince Regent, Sheldon Square, W2 6PY | £75 | Book here
17. Play It Cool With An Ice Cream Crawl Through Central London
Make sure not to waffle on.
18. Play Croquet on a Rooftop At Skylight
Because the stakes are automatically higher.
Details: Open Thurs-Sun | Penning Street Car Park, Wapping Lane, E1W 2SF | From £25 for 45 mins | Book here
19. Make a Picnic Hamper at One of London’s Best Food Markets
Or just cheat and get some street food hot out the kitchen.
20. Listen To Live Music in Dalston Eastern Curve Garden
And learn how to plant seedlings…of love.
Details: Open daily | 13 Dalston Lane, E8 3DF | Free entry
21. Learn About The Birds & The Bees at Zoo Nights
Champagne by the penguin pool and (actual) sleeping lions…
Details: Friday evenings from 9th June – 28th July | ZSL London Zoo, Outer Circle, Regent’s Park, NW1 4RY | £21.50
22. Sip Cocktails From Coconuts At Limin Southbank
Soaked up by a little Trinidadian grill food…
Details: Open daily | Gabriel’s Wharf, 56 Upper Ground, South Bank, SE1 9PP | Book here
23. Compete To Buy Each Other The Most Unusual Object at Spitalfields Vintage Market
Victorian anatomical lung print? No really, you shouldn’t have.
Details: Every Thursday, 8am-5pm | Old Spitalfields Market, 16 Horner Square, London E1 6EW | Free entry
24. Take A BBQ Boat Trip Around The City
Good at cooking and sailing? Who knew.
Details: Available daily | Off Hertsmere Road, West India Quay, E14 4AL | £150-250 | Book here
25. Challenge Each Other To a Mini Olympics on Roof East
There’s batting cages, disco lawn bowls, crazy golf and more…
Details: Open Tues-Sun, and bank holidays | Floors 7 & 8, Stratford Multi-Storey Car Park, Great Eastern Way, E15 1XE | Free entry – games from £12pp | Book here
26. Eat Al Fresco In Circolo Popolare’s Hidden Courtyard
In fact….eat al fresco for EVERY MEAL, thanks to our al fresco dining guide.
27. Plan A Day Trip Out Of London
This beach is 90 minutes away….
28. Play Dinosaur Mini Golf
But if that’s too terrifying a prospect, maybe one of these other crazy golf courses will do the trick.
Details: Dinosaur Safari Adventure Golf, A1 Golf Driving Range, Rowley Lane, Barnet, EN5 3HW | £8.25pp| Book here
Or a pedalo, if you want a calf workout/the ability to eat ice cream while you’re at it.
They’re literally all over the city… meaning you can tie it in with a visit to the best restaurant in whichever neighbourhood you end up in.
31. Listen To Mozart In A Car Park At Bold Tendencies
Then head upstairs for negronis at Frank’s.
Details: Various Dates |
32. Decide, Once and For All, Who Makes The Best Margarita
At the prestigious, and entirely bottomless, Margarita Rumble.
Details: 22nd July | Two More Years, 7 Roach Road, Fish Island, E3 2PA | £37.50+
33. Browse the Stalls at Hackney Night Market
And stop off for drinks at Night Tales.
Details: Friday nights, 6-10pm | Bohemia Place, Hackney Central, E8 1DU | Free entry
34. Take a Board Game to The Faltering Fullback’s Roof Garden
Then crush the competition at quiz night.
Details: Quiz night on Monday | 19 Perth Road, N4 3HB
35. Pick a Picnic at these PYO Farms near London
It’s totally ok to just get five punnets of strawberries.
36. Show Off Your Knowledge of the Italian Futurist Art Movement…
…just as soon as you’ve enjoyed a Campari spritz in the Estorick Collection‘s secluded courtyard garden.
Details: Open Wed-Sun | 39A Canonbury Square, Islington, N1 2AN | £7.50 gallery entry
37. Watch Stand-Up or a Musical at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre
And pre-book a Champagne picnic for two.
Details: Throughout summer | Regent’s Park, Inner Circle, NW1 4NU | Tickets from £25, picnic £55.95 for two | Book here
38. Attend a Seasonal Supperclub in an Ancient Apothecaries’ Garden
Here’s hoping they can cure your lovesickness, wheeey….
Details: Various dates until September | Chelsea Physic Garden, 66 Royal Hospital Road, London SW3 4HS | £60-80 | Book here
39. See How Far You Can Get Along the Bermondsey Beer Mile
Remember, in these summer months it’s important to stay hydrated.
Details: Saturdays 11am-5pm | See the route here
40. Listen To Live Music In An 18th Century Mansion Courtyard
Somerset House‘s summer gigs cover everything from pop, to rock, to grime, with artists like Goldfrapp and Greentea Peng.
Details: 6th-16th July | Somerset House, Strand, WC2R 1LA | £31.25+ | Book here
And stop in at tiny, off-the-beaten-track pubs en route.
Details: Daily | Across London | £25pp | Book here
42. Play a Little Al Fresco Shuffleboard
On weekends they do bottomless prosecco, beer, and stone-baked pizzas too.
Details: Open daily | London Shuffle Club, 4 Ebor Street, E1 6AW | £25-52 per lane | Book here
43. Go Wild Swimming At One Of These Outdoor London Swim Spots
Work on your butterflies…
44. Go Dinosaur Spotting at Crystal Palace Park
Decide why this one is soooo lazy.
Details: Crystal Palace Park, 13 Orchard Grove, SE20 8DN | Free
45. Take a Stroll Round Holland Park’s Kyoto Garden
Then go for a drink at the equally floral Churchill Arms.
Details: Open daily | Holland Park, Ilchester Place, W8 | Free
Then grab lunch by the river at KERB’s street food market by the National Theatre.
Prepare for renting in London together by squeezing into a double kayak.
Details: Various dates | The Beach Next to St Mary’s Church Battersea, SW11 3LX | £79.95 | Book here
48. Enjoy Portuguese BBQ by the River from the Moro Team
At their annual Summer Piri Piri pop-up.
Details: Friday – Sunday until September | Autumn Yard, Unit 2A, 39 Autumn Yard Street, E3 2TT | Walk-ins only
49. Eat Australian-Greek Fusion on a Rooftop
They’re calling it
Details: Sundays throughout summer | TT Liquor, 17B Kingsland Rd, E2 8AA | Book here
50. Hang Out Canalside At Crate Brewery
Share a pizza and design your imaginary houseboat together.
Details: Open daily from noon | The White Building, Queen’s Yard, E9 5EN
51. Skate, Dine and Bowl at Skate, Dine and Bowl
Keep cool while everyone else is sweltering above ground, at their DJ-fuelled ice skating nights.
Details: Open daily, DJ nights from 7pm | 17 Queensway, Bayswater, W2 4QP | £16 | Book here
52. Head to the Midnight Apothecary
Because: botanical cocktails, subterranean live music, and bottomless, toastable marshmallows.
Details: Fridays & Saturdays | Brunel Museum Rooftop Garden, Railway Avenue, London, SE16 4LF | £8 | Book here
53. Take a Food Tour of the World at Mercato Metropolitano
…and bop your head to live music.
Details: Open daily from 11am – late | 42 Newington Causeway, SE1 6DR | Free entry
54. Celebrate Bastille Day at Maison Francois
Unsurprisingly, this very French restaurant is throwing a very French party, with magnums of rosé, mime artists, and ‘escargot-related entertainment.’
Details: 14th July | Maison Francois, 34 Duke Street, London, SW1Y 6DF | £60 | Book here
Need even more inspiration? Luckily there’s 101 year-round London date ideas right here…